Town Of Ulster

Town Clerk and Tax Collector

Suzanne Reavy

1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
(845) 382-2455
(845) 336-0082
The Town Clerk's office issues Vital Statistics Records --  marriage licenses, death certificates, birth certificates and certified copies of all three;  dog licenses; Games of Chance licenes; DEC licenses; and transfer station permits and coupons; collects water bills and all fees for Town departments (except court fees); maintains Town records; handles all non-Police related FOIL requests; and schedules use of Town Parks and Town Hall meeting rooms.  The Town Clerk's office is also responsible for the collection of property taxes.
Note:  TAX COLLECTION:  January 1 -- June 1.  No payments are accepted after June 1 of each year. To pay property taxes AFTER JUNE 1, contact the Ulster County Department of Finance at: (845) 340-3431
Hours of Operation:

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,  8:00am - 4:00pm

Deputy Town Clerk
Lauren Hommel
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: 845-382-2455
Registrar of Vital Statistics
Suzanne Reavy
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: 845-382-2455
Deputy Registrar of Vital Statistics
Lauren Hommel
Town of Ulster Town Hall
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: (845) 382-2455
FOIL Officer
Suzanne Reavy
1 Town Hall Drive
1 Town Hall Drive
Lake Katrine, NY 12449
Phone: (845) 382-2455
Fax: 845-336-0082
Town of Ulster FEE Schedule

Town of Ulster Fee Schedules for:

  • Building, Planning & Zoning Fees
  • Town Clerk Fees
  •  Transfer Station Fees
  • Water Rates
  • Sewer Rates
How do I get copies of records of interest in the Town?

You must fill out a "Freedom of Information" (FOIL) form.  This form is available in the Town Clerk's office and needs to be completed in order to receive copies of records in any department.  Copies of all paper records cost $.25 per page.

Must I license my dog, and if so, how can I do so?

All dogs in New York State, at least four months of age, must be licensed.  A dog license can not be issued without proof of a rabies vaccination.  The fee is $16.00 for unspayed/unneutered dogs, and $6.00 for dogs that have been spayed/neutered.  Proof of spaying/neutering must be submitted to the Clerk's office before the discount can be given.  Licenses are renewed once a year.  If a dog is licensed as a result of enumeration, a $5.00 fee is added.

Does the Town accept surrendered animals from residents?

No. The Town only picks up stray animals.  When an animal owner is found, they must pay an impoundment fee and license their animal if they have not already done so.  Failure to comply may result in a summons to Court resulting in a fine and possible jail time.

Do you pick up stray cats?

No.  The Town does not have any program for the care of stray cats.

I have an animal complaint.

You can contact the Ulster Town Supervisor's Office (845.382.2765) and they will register the complaint and dispatch the Animal Control Officer.  After regular business hours, you can contact the Police Department (845.382.1111) to do the same. You can also fill out an ONLINE ANIMAL COMPLAINT FORM

How can a barking dog complaint be filed?

Barking dog complaints must be filed in writing with the Supervisor's Office, or after business hours with the Town Police Department.  The Supervisor's Office/Police Department will then dispatch the Animal Control Officer to notify the dog owner of the complaint, giving the owner the opportunity to correct the situation.  If the incessant barking continues, a second written complaint must be filed with the Supervisor's Office or Police.  The Animal Control Officer then will contact the person filing the complaint and assist him/her in completing the necessary paperwork to bring the dog owner to Court.

What is needed to obtain a marriage license?

Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license.  The fee is $40.00.  It must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony and is valid for 60 days.  Proof of ID, such as a driver's license or passport, and birth certificate, must be presented as well as final divorce  papers (if applicable).  The license will be issued while the couple waits.  After the marriage is complete, the couple will receive an original marriage certificate from the Town Clerk by mail.  Each additional copy costs $10.00.

Where can I register to vote?

The Town Clerk's Office has applications for voter registration.  The primary point of contact is the Ulster County Board of Elections located on 284 Wall Street in Kingston. 

Telephone:  (845) 334-5470

How can I obtain a Hunting or Fishing license?

Proof of Hunter safety course must be presented when applying for a Hunting license.  If the applicant also wants an Archery stamp, proof of the successful completion of a Bow Hunter safety course is required.  Proof of NYS residency must also be presented, or higher out-of-state fees must be charged.  Only proof of residency is required to purchase a Fishing license.  All fees for Hunting, Fishing, and specialty stamps are established by the State of New York.

When and Where are Town Board Meetings held?

Town Board Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month beginning at 7:00 pm.  Workshop meetings are held on the first Thursday of the month at 7:00pm.  Meetings are held at the Ulster Town Hall at 1 Town Hall Drive, Lake Katrine, New York.  A schedule of all the Town meetings is available at the Ulster Town Clerk's Office and on the Town's website.

Are Town Board Meetings open to the Public?

The Open Meetings law gives the Public the right to attend Town Board meetings and to listen to Town Board deliberations.  However, the Public may not participate in the meeting except upon the invitation of the Board.  Time is usually allocated at the beginning to address agenda items only and at the end of the meeting for general public comment.

Are all Town Board Members available during normal working hours?

No.  The Supervisor is the only full time Town Board Member.  He is available in his office at Town Hall, Monday thru Friday, during regular business hours.  Council members' contact information is on the Town Website under "Officials". 

Is the Police Department accredited?

Yes.  It was the first Town Police Department in Ulster County to meet these stringent requirements.  It received its accreditation status in 2002.  All Officers are hired under Civil Service guidelines and must comply with New York State Civil Service requirements.  All Police Officers are certified yearly in First Aid and CPR.

How do I find out about exemptions and the STAR (School Tax Relief) Exemption?

All exemption information is available through the Town Assessor's Office at 845-331-1317.

When is the last day to file for exemptions?

The last date for exemption filling is March 1st each year.  Application must be filed with the Assessor's Office.

How can I get an Accident Report?

Accident Reports are available through the Police Department.

Why is my water bill so high? How can I possibly use such a large amount of water?

You may have a water leak, dripping faucet, leak in the toilet, or your water softener could be stuck in the backwash cycle.  Water consumption is also increased substantially during the hot days of summer when many homeowners water their lawns.  Water conservation is urged!  Please make every effort to have all leaks repaired.

Where can I get a Burning Permit?

Burning Permits are given out by the local Fire District's Fire Chief and his Deputies with rules and guidelines set by the State.  Local burning ordinances are forthcoming to further refine and regulate local burning.

What are the Town Hall hours of operation?

Currently the Town Hall is open Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  Occasionally an office will be closed during the regular business hours, please contact the office you need and confirm that someone will be available for you.

What Holidays Close Town Hall and Town Offices?

New Years' Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving Day, Friday after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.

Does the Town of Ulster Hold Rabies Clinics?

The Town of Ulster used to hold rabies clinics at the Town Hall. The veterinarian saw declining interest and we decided to dissolve this program and allow the UC SPCA to offer these services to our residents; the Town no longer holds these clinics. There are TWO locations that we are aware of where rabies and vaccine clinics are offered:

1. Tractor Supply, 1611 Ulster Ave., Lake Katrine (across from ADAMS on Rt 9W) holds vaccine clinics EVERY SATURDAY from 9:30am -- 11 AM. Vaccines are offered by VIP Pet Care. More information call Tractor Supply at 845-336-5038. 

2. Ulster County SPCA, Wiedy Rd., Kingston (off of Sawkill Rd) offers vaccine clinics every Wednesday from 3 PM -- 5:30 PM. For more information, pricing and offers,  call 845-331-5377 EXT 216 or visit their WEBSITE





Birth Certificate Copy Request Application

Application for a copy of a Death Certificate

Application to request a copy of a Marriage Record
Town of Ulster Mailing Address Correction Form for Tax Billing

Update the mailing address for your property electronically by completing the

"Mailing Address Correction Form for Tax Billing"